Phyto-therapy is the art of healing (oneself) with plants and herbs.
Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils in therapeutic and cosmetological treatments.
Essential oils have been used in the healing arts since ancient times. They are natural substances extracted usually by distillation from flowers, herbs, resins and spices. Hundreds of flowers might be required to produce only a few drops of essential oil, such as Rose Otto. Each has its own influence on a part of the human body, be it skin, kidneys, blood circulation, etc. They have antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties which are highly successful in the treatment of headaches, sinusitis, menstrual disorders, arthritis, pain management, and skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis.
They can also affect mood and are useful in the treatment of depression, stress, anxiety and insomnia.
This course is designed for those individuals who seek an understanding and practical use of Essential Oils - their use and applications - WITHOUT an emphasis on massage techniques.
Examples of topics covered: The art of mixing and blending essential oils, chemistry, the art of distillation, botanical studies, making tinctures and macerated oils, how essential oils are obtained, carrier oils, history, hydrosols, pregnancy & child care, and an in-depth study of essential oils.
The Aromatology Course also includes the Aromatherapy Seminar / One Day Workshop.
A - THEORETICAL - lessons
1. Introduction to Aromatherapy. This is the 1 day Aromatherapy seminar included in this course.
2. The History of Aromatherapy.
3. Carrier oils
4. Botanical classifications
5. Introduction to Chemistry
6. Essential oils and how to tell quality and purity of essential oils.
7. Extractions of essential oils, the art of distillation
9. Pathways into the body
10. Pregnancy and Child care
BODY SYSTEMS - the use of essential oils on the following systems:
11. Respiratory system
12. Nervous system
14. Bone and muscular system
15. Digestive system
16. Urinary system
17. Circulatory system
B - PRACTICAL HOMEWORK
1. The art of mixing and Blending* This is taught in the Aromatherapy seminar
2. Making Tinctures and Macerated Oils.
* In a home study format, essential oils, herbs and carrier oils will be provided for practice at home - for blending and mixing homework.
For information on Aromatherapy, and how to use essential oils go to http://www.classicaromatherapy.com/